Monday, March 10, 2014

Preternatural Prophecy Chapter 9

When Wendel awoke the cage was bumping along an old dirt road. Three vampires pulled it with thick ropes. They walked along chatting and laughing at each others jokes. None made mention of the prisoner that they were pulling. Wendel sat up and looked around. Another man sat in the cage. Wendel crawled over to the man and tapped him on the shoulder. His eyes opened slowly.
“Well hello there, you are finally awake. I thought you were dead for a little while. What is your name?” The man asked. There was a strange sparkle in his eyes.
Wendel shook his head and opened his mouth and tried to show the man he could not speak. A confused look fell upon the man’s face.
“You cannot speak?” The man asked confused.
Wendel nodded his head smiling. The man smiled back.
“Ah that makes some sense then. Well I am Nicolas. I am a priest and apparently I’m needed for some sort of ritual. I see you are a vampire as well. You must have pissed someone off good to have been put in this cage. I was put in here because I just happened to pass by on my way to a village not far from here. I thought they had an animal in here and I jokingly asked about a ride. Well I got one, just not one I expected. Well I always get myself into these kinds of problems. So since you have no voice I guess you can’t get us out,” Wendel gave him a strange questioning look, “I studied these cages with a mage I once met. These types of cages can only be destroyed by a vampire’s screech, that loud annoying sound that every vampire can emit. Well almost every vampire, seeing as you don’t have a voice to make sounds. So I guess we are stuck in here.”
Wendel’s eyes widened as he heard that. He jumped to his feet and looked around. He took a deep breath and tried to shout but not a sound came out. He sighed and tried once more but still nothing. He sat back down with a defeated look on his face.

            Laurel and Tatiana were walking next to each other. Haru walked a few steps in front of them. They had taken his weapons and kept their minds blank in case he tried to read them. They walked at a monotonous pace down the beach towards the mountains. The beach seemed to go on forever and ever. The twins breathed deeply as the packs at their sides got heavier and heavier. Finally Tatiana fell to her hands and knees. A drop or two fell from her face and clumped the sand beneath her head. She hung her head.
            “This beach goes on forever. We will never be able to get out of here. There is no way!” Tatiana screamed. Tears poured from her eyes. She fell onto her side and went into sobbing.
            Laurel bent down and held her sister in her arms. Haru turned and shook his head. He started to walk off. “Where are you going?” Laurel demanded.
            “Out of here. I am tired of you two slowing me down. I would be there by now if it weren’t for you two. You two slow me down too much. I need to destroy the vampires now to save my people. Good bye.” He walked off towards the mountains and the twins watched him fade away.
            “Good riddance. He kept us from doing what we wanted anyways.” Laurel said still holding her sister. Laurel gently rocked her sister till she stopped crying. Laurel put her forehead to her sisters. “We are going to do this. We have the strength. We can get through this. And we will save Wendel so that he is no longer a vampire.” They sat there for awhile before either spoke or moved again.

            Haru walked down the beach fiddling with the knife he has swiped from the twins. He chuckled. He was finally rid of the two brats that he had been stuck baby-sitting because that old woman had told him he had to. He continued to walk along the beach. He cleaned his fingernails with the small knife. He accidentally slipped and cut himself. He shook his hand and sucked on his finger.
            “Ouch! What the...?” He yelled. He suddenly heard a chuckle come from beside him.
            “Aww poor psychic, you hurt yourself. Well then I guess I’ll just have to get rid of that pain.” A deep voice said. Haru slowly realized that it was Delano next to him. He crouched down and spread out his psychic vision. He detected Delano to his right and swung his knife at him. Instead he felt a searing pain in his back. He cried out and fell forward. Blood poured from his back out of the wound Delano had caused. Haru gritted his teeth and Delano ran a finger through his open wound.  “You should not have left them. They were the ones that were protecting you from us. See we can trick your psychic mind. So Haru, say good bye to this world.” Delano raised his sword.
            Haru’s face turned to a sad frown. “Dear God Caius, please hear my voice. Take my voice from my body and give it to Wendel. Take this out of my body and place it in Wendel’s body. In my death I shall not need it. Take it away from me.” Haru went into spasms. Delano swung his sword down and ended the spasms. He walked away smiling to himself. No one could stand his way now to destroy the twins.

            Wendel sat thinking to himself. ‘If only we could, “find a way to get out of this cage.”
            Nicolas looked over at Wendel. “What did you just say?”
            “That old man is crazy, I can’t speak. Why would he ask what I just said?”
            “Wendel you are speaking!”
            “What? Wait this is a lot different than talking in my head. It is funny to be able to hear myself. Wait! I can speak!”
            “Thank the gods! This is a miracle. How did this happen?”
            “I am not sure either way I know what I’m going to do with this voice first.” Wendel’s eyes narrowed as he smiled happily. He took a deep breath and screamed. A loud piercing sound emitted itself from his throat. Nicolas’ hands flew to his ears and his face showed a look of pain. The cage bars bent outward and finally disintegrated. The vampires pulling the cage stood in shock not knowing what had happened. The stared dumbfounded as Wendel hopped out of the cage and walked toward them with an evil grin on his face.
            “Hello, my name is Wendel. I can speak now and I really did not appreciate being put in that cage.” One of the vampires began shaking from fear. The other two turned to shadows and disappeared. Wendel walked over to the shaking one and went right into his face. The vampire fainted and collapsed in fear. Wendel smiled and laughed. It boomed throughout the whole forest filling it. Wendel smiled. He went back to the cage to see Nicolas jumping out.
            “Well Wendel this is where I must go. I am already late. Good luck in your journey and I hope you get where you need to go. And congratulations on getting your voice. I hope it does you well. Good luck.” With that said he turned and walked along the path on which they had come. Wendel stood there waving to him.

            “Good bye!” Wendel shouted joyously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment